When DID I last post on this blog? I think it was Christmas-ish? Damn, that was months ago!
I have really good reasons for doing that, I promise. At least, I think they are. My ability to judge the value of things can be unreliable at best. That being said, I believe the grounds for my absence are still valid – especially considering the fact that about half of it involves stuff that I can write about here (not that I’ve given myself time to write here).
If you’re curious, here’s the abridged version of my various distractions:
- my brother bought me a doohickey that holds my books open (I will post more about it later), which got me reading tons of those bigger books I’ve been ignoring.
- after enjoying said doohickey for about a month and a half, I broke down and finally bought myself a Kindle Touch via the awesome supplier NKRX (who I heard about through my friend Dana)…
- then I proceeded to upload tons of books that I likely won’t be able to finish reading until my birthday
- actually, I’m still putting books in my Kindle (which, by the way, I call “Del” after the Delirium/Delight character in Gaiman’s Sandman series; I feel the name is apt)
- meanwhile, I have just finished reading all of The Dresden Files stories so far (Cold Days. So far away!) and I have become so horribly addicted that I’m consoling myself with its entry on TVTropes. And we all know what a time sink THAT site is.
- The Night Circus ignited my fangirl mode too, but since it gave me proper closure, I’m doing nothing more than playing the promotional game associated with it (aside: more books should totally have something like this!)
- I also happened to read the latest Sweet Valley book. I am not linking to it because I never want to repeat that experience again.
As if that’s not enough:
- my job as a copywriter has evolved in a way that has made it imperative for me to research topics I have never researched before
- which is awesome, because I really like reading stuff about things I never really heard of before
- but then it triggered a frenzy of reading articles related to business, productivity, technology, and the like (so hello GigaOm, LifeHacker, and Mashable)
- it also got me a little hooked on sites that could potentially help me improve in my line of work (Contently and Copyblogger in particular are mesmerizing)
- so, in an attempt to avoid becoming a total workaholic, I started reading stuff on BrainPickings. Which was probably a mistake because now I can’t feel uplifted without it.
- meanwhile, the creative writing bug gets a hold of me again, and now I’m obsessing over the details of this one idea for a novel that I’ve been tinkering with for the last year or so
Clearly, I have a huge reading problem that turns reading into a compulsion for me.
That’s not even bringing up my compulsive knitting/crocheting. Or the growing number of Facebook games (AVENGERS ALLIANCE WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?) I’ve been playing to help me get out of my funk. Or even my love for the TV show Castle.
Anyway, that’s the reason why I haven’t been posting on this blog. Jeez, I wonder if anyone else has this same kind of first world problem?